What & Why: Product Master Post

Though I've added many foods back comfortably that once gave me anaphylaxis, I haven't approached the beloved corn yet. Yet.

If you're reading this and living with the same allergy, hopefully this list will orient or inspire you in some way. If you are not currently corn-allergic, note that all of these items are pretty organic --you might have your fancy struck.

Keep in mind, I'm what the kids call "corn lite". For me, this means that cross-contamination is much less of an issue than it is for most. However, I have had anaphylactic reactions to exposure. (One day, I will munch on this grain again!) Please be sure to check the ingredients to see if they're right for you, before buying.


Hygiene

Shampoo and Conditioner: Lavender Shampoo and Body Wash, and matching conditioner from Carina Organics. I also use their Sweet Pea stuff, but I could probably make do with any of their original line. Some key ingredients include saponified coconut, apple cider vinegar, pine extract, and multiple plant oils (WHOLE oils, NOT essentials). I never noticed until now that they have magnesium oil --is this new???? But my scalp is happy. 100% biodegradable all-around!

Moisturizer: Now Solutions Grapeseed Oil. I used to use the Sweet Pea lotion from Carina Organics, but I'd find my hands were dry again before long. That recurring sensations signalled to me that maybe I needed something a little more nourishing. This stuff is pure, nothing added. It's also a much lighter oil than say, olive, and far less apt to clog pores. For some reason, I don't think this brands grapeseed oil is meant to be ingested. Not gonna test that out.

Tooth Care: Now Solutions European Clay Powder. If Now Solutions isn't the brand for you, many corn avoidants use Redmond Clay instead. As per the oil above, it tends to be available in higher end grocery stores (or maybe Canada just has less general selection). I feel pretty fresh after using this stuff, and it doesn't ever make my teeth bleed like baking soda.

Deodorant: Schmidt's Rose + Vanilla. It seems like baking soda was disappointing me all around. Generally, I sweat less than I used to, but I still need the occasional swipe. If you do better with warm scents like me, this Schmidt's stick is your best bet. While this does have baking soda, it's also based on ingredients like arrowroot powder, coconut, shea, jojoba, and sunflower. No synthetics here, folks.


Supplements

B12 (Methylcobolamin): Bio-Alternatives Sublingual B12. Methylcobolamin is the more bio-available form of b12, versus cyanocobolamin. For many moons, I've heard legends that the only B12 available is made from bacteria grown on corn. When I faced that life-threatening deficiency, this was not good news; Pure Encapsulations did not agree with me and I was Freaking Out. I contacted these folks and was euphoric to discover that they make theirs from SUGAR BEETS. And, they add nothing but pure water. I have to admit, though: the customer service is pretty non-existent. Still, they have amazing products and I'm (not-so) patiently awaiting the arrival of my milk thistle and evening primrose oil.

Vitamin C: Ecological Formulas Vitamin C from Tapioca. This one's pretty self-explanatory. Nothing added, not even veggie capsules --just pure powder. I mix about a quarter teaspoon to get my daily 1000 mg, which seems to make an overall noticeable difference in my health.

Endometriosis Relief: Endovan. I feel like I posted about wanting to try this stuff before, but wow, it really does what it says it does. I'm only a month and a half in, but I feel a big reduction in cramps, bloating, and excess flow (amount and thickness) already. I could write a whole romance novel about me and this little pill. I actually break the pine-derived capsule apart and mix in half a shot glass of water. My body still doesn't process pill form medicine properly. So, this is how I reduce any potential side effects. I just wanna stress how awesome the owner is, Gerry. He developed this product over years to help the menstruating people in his life. He's always around (during business hours) to answer ANY questions and concerns I have at length. Some plant sources for this supplement include brown rice, green tea leaf (decaffeinated), and a soy-derived patented key ingredient ... though it apparently no longer contains any soy from lab synthesis. I hope they can replace the rice flour with something more paleo in the future!

Raspberry Leaf Tea: from Traditional Medicinals. Honestly, I picked this brand because it was available at my local health food store. If tea bags are a bother for you, it shouldn't be hard to track down some loose leaf equivalent. As someone with what they call "trauma womb" (and EDS-related pelvic prolapse) this stuff is a goddex send. It also seems to help my body take care of estrogen dominance and reduces so many related symptoms.


I honestly just use ordinary household products right now because my family usually does the cleaning and I can't always be assed to get organic laundry detergent. It's on the list, though!


Favourite Foods

Potato Chips: Boulder Canyon Cut Kettle Cooked Potato Chips (Avocado Oil): a mouthful in more ways than one. Yum. These beauties are just three ingredients: potatoes, avocado oil, and sea salt. A semi-nutritious snack.

Chocolate Chips: MadeGood Foods Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. I uh, may have snacked on an entire bag of these in three days. Oops. Nothing to see here but cocoa and cane sugar.

Kombucha: Any GT's and the two rose ones from Rise, honestly. I drink this stuff almost daily because it makes a huge difference in my mood and anxiety. I also find it helps me fight all kinds of infections! Yeah!!

Canned Beans: Eden Foods Organic Beans (all varieties). For you low-sodium babes, no salt added. Instead, these beans are preserved with kombu seaweed! Much more nutritious. No, you can't see or taste the seaweed. Eden Foods does soybeans, but the food label on the other beans does not say "may contain soy", so it's likely processed on different equipment.

Coconut Milk/Cream: Cha's Organics Organic Coconut ______.  No guar or xanthan gum added, for those concerned. Just water!

All-Purpose Flour: Cuisine Soleil All-Purpose Mix. Sorry folks, this one only seems to be available in Canada! For those of you within these borders, it's a blend of chickpea, arrowroot, and tapioca. I've only used it once for cookies, but they were preeeeeetty nice.


This list will grow as I think of more. Even when I move past my corn avoidance, this list will remain posted for all to benefit from. Happy nourishing!









Comments

Popular Posts